Ann works primarily in graphite and coloured pencil and is well known for her exquisitely fine detail, vibrant colours and strong contemporary style. She champions the underdog in the plant world, drawing our attention to Brussels sprouts or beetroots feeling they are just as beautiful as the iris or tulip. She is passionate about coloured pencils believing they are easy to master, forgiving and accessible so that even a complete beginner can quite quickly produce work of quality.
She began to exhibit in 1990 and now shows her work worldwide. Exhibitions include The Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew in 1994 and the Hunt Institute's 8th International Exhibition in Pittsburgh USA. Ann is a regular exhibitor with the Society of Botanical Artists and until recently exhibited annually at the Chelsea and Hampton Court Flower Shows. She is also a member of the RHS Picture Committee. Her work is represented in the prestigious Shirley Sherwood Collection and features in many private collections around the world.
- 1990 RHS Silver Gilt Medal for drawings of Carniverous Plants and Rhododendrons
- 1991 RHS Gold Medal for drawings of Lycaste Orchids from the National Collection of Lycastes
- 1993 RHS Gold Medal for more drawings of Lycastes
- 1994 Silver Medal 14th World Orchid Conference - more Lycastes
- 1997 RHS Gold Medal - yet more Lycastes
- 1999 RHS Gold Medal (jointly with Gillian Barlow and Pauline Dean) - for, yes you've guessed, more Lycaste orchids!!
- 2004 SBA President's Award for work in other media (shared)
- 2004 SBA People's Choice for the 'Teasel'
- 2011 SBA Suzanne Lucas Memorial Award
- 2011 UKCPS 3rd Best in Show for 'Oriental Poppy'
- 2011 UKCPS People's Choice Coloured Pencil (shared) for 'Oriental Poppy'
- 2011 UKCPS People's Choice Mixed Media (shared) for 'Merlot'
- 2016 UKCPS Best in Show
- 2016 UKCPS Best Flower,Fruit or Vegetable
Pictures purchased by the RHS Lindley Library
- 'Parasol Trio' 2006
- 'Prickly Pear' 2008
- 'American Corn' 2009
Ann's recent book 'Botanical Painting with Coloured Pencils' is already in it's second print run and has been very well received both here and in the USA where it is published as 'Botanical Portraits with Colored Pencils'. Jersey Pottery have produced two ranges of china from Ann's designs. Initially six floral designs marketed as their 'Botanical' range, now discontinued, and subsequently four designs for their 'Mediterranean' range of china and giftware. She has also undertaken a commission from the Southern Bulb Company of Texas USA to draw a series of their 'Heirloom' bulbs and these too have been produced as a range of china giftware and limited edition prints available from www.southernbulbs.com
Ann loves teaching and spreading the joy of working with coloured pencils and now runs regular workshops at her studio in Wiltshire and in Andalucia- Spain, Umbria-Italy and Duras- France. She also teaches for the RHS at Wisley Gardens, Surrey and in 2012 she will be teaching again at the Denver Botanic Gardens. Several of her students have also won awards, are members of the SBA, have RHS medals or are teaching either in this country or abroad.
In her spare time Ann enjoys gardening!!!!